Sunday, December 20, 2009

What is the minimum PSI I should look for in a pressure washer when using to strip paint from a wood fence?

I have to go cheap on this so it looks like i'm going to be getting an a electric one. I saw a Black and Decker one that said 1600psi but a review said it normally is about 1250psi and not too good at removing paint. I have seen several Karthers at advertised 1400psi without that review. I also saw a 1500psi but forgot the brand name of it.What is the minimum PSI I should look for in a pressure washer when using to strip paint from a wood fence?
2500 PSI should do it, be extreamly careful not to gouge or cut the wood with the spray. Also you will need to let the wood dry for at least a week , of hot dry weather, so the paint will not peel off later. Do not be disapionted if you can't remove all of the paint, you will need to scrape and sand prior to priming. Good Luck!What is the minimum PSI I should look for in a pressure washer when using to strip paint from a wood fence?
The psi's you mentioned are all electric washers. My experience is that you are wasting your money buying an electric. They just don't have enough power to do much at all except use water and electricity. I put them in the same category as electric weedeaters and electric lawnmowers. Get a gas powered, at least 2200 psi (as has already been said), if you have Real cleaning tasks to do.
25OO no less you may want to look into sand blasting
I'd go with a 2000. The other issue is power. If you rent a 2000 psi gas powered one, it will do the job more quickly and effectively and you will have more control over the result. Buy a low psi, low power electric, it will take you much longer and you won'thave power in the tough spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment